10.08.2005

The Business of God

If a church isn't a business, why do they always make a time for the offering? Why do they play music, the ushers come out with the buckets, they pray that god will bless them many times over(that scripture about your cup runneth over), and mention the part about you tithing 10%? I have never been to a church that this hasn't been done. Also, in the biblical days of sacrificing your best 10% of your crops/animals to god, it was that you had a burnt offering or cut the throat of your lamb/calf, etc. So, no one was getting your goodies, they were being killed/burned up to show god that you were giving the best to him. When you put that big fat check in the offering plate, its going to the preacher, the church needs-program funds/salaries/rent/utilites/office costs-not directly to god. Which is all fine and dandy, because i know the church provides a service, and many programs and extracurriculars, to people who take part in them. However, they should just say that. If anyone feels compelled to give, they know they can approach the pastor or staff and hand them a check.
You can't help but feel a little swindled.

7 Comments:

At 7:00 PM, Blogger High Thirty Something said...

It's a little more complicated then that. The church is accountable to God for what they do with the money, not to me - if I give I am not giving to the church, I am giving to God. It's no big thing. Interesting blog though.

 
At 3:55 AM, Blogger Drew said...

I have been called a donut god once, which basically means that I can morally accept your money.
When I recieve your check I will promptly burn it, I promise. Make it payable to me, god of all donuts.

 
At 3:24 AM, Blogger Geostigmatic said...

wow... i thought it was just going to be a small mention of me... i got a whole section... i AM God though.....

 
At 4:39 AM, Blogger Mike said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 4:48 AM, Blogger Mike said...

Why does "God" never have to pay taxes? And, on top of that, why do churches get free money from the government in the form of faith-based initiatives? Kinda unfair really...

 
At 12:42 AM, Blogger Geostigmatic said...

good God... I mean... Good Me... or something... you need to make some new posts or something.

 
At 6:30 AM, Blogger pcpod said...

Good points. Can you tell which parts were put in place by God and which parts we (people) have created for ourselves?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home